Android Application: GeolocPVT
Since Android 7, access to GNSS raw measurements is made available, allowing the creation of advanced GNSS positioning algorithms on smartphones.
As a member of the GNSS Raw Measurements Task Force, launched by the GSA in 2017, we have started to develop the GeolocPVT application.
GeolocPVT is an Android application, under development, for accurate real-time multi-constellation and multi-frequency positioning using raw GNSS radio broadcast ephemerides received by the phone's receiver.
Currently, the application is functional on phones with Android 9, it is developed and optimized on the Xiaomi Mi 8 phone model in order to take advantage of its multi-constellation (GPS, Galileo, Beidou, Glonass) and dual frequency (L1 and L5) GNSS chip, but also access to navigation messages and phase.
The GNSS chipset specifications according to phone models are no longer available but you can find useful information on the Android site for developers.
The code of the application is licensed under the LGPL-3 open source license in order to build a community of users / contributors / developers to feed the project and ensure its long-term evolution. The code is available on the GitLab of the GEOLOC laboratory.
The GeolocPVT user guide can be downloaded here.
It is regularly updated as a result of projects and internships of Master students.
Internship and student project reports
- IT Project 2020, Ecole Nationale des Sciences Géographiques (ENSG), by Cédric TABUE WAFO
- IT Project 2020, Ecole Nationale des Sciences Géographiques (ENSG), by Edgar LENHOF
- IT Project 2019, Ecole Centrale Nantes, by Eliot GIRAUD and Antoine JOUSSELIN
- IT Project 2019, Ecole Centrale Nantes, by Igor LIRA PASSOS and Mongi LABIDI
- MScThesis Report 2019, Ecole Nationale des Sciences Géographiques (ENSG), Development of a GNSS positioning application under Android OS using GALILEO signals by Antoine GRENIER
- IT project report 2018, Ecole Centrale Nantes, by Sheng GAO et Mitsinjosoa RAMANDANIAINA
- Thesis Report 2018, IUT Nantes, by José Gilberto RESÉNDIZ FONSECA
- Presentation for task force « GNSS et Positionnement » led by the Conseil National de l’Information Géographique, October 16, 2020 by Valérie RENAUDIN, Céline RAGOIN, Miguel ORTIZ
- Presentation at « 2020 Annual Raw Measurement Task Force Workshop », GSA, Assessing positions and Raw Data measurements delivered by an Android device, Céline RAGOIN, Valérie RENAUDIN, Miguel ORTIZ
- WPNC 2019 proceedings, « Efficient Use of SRR RTCM Streams For Real-Time Precise Point Positioning on Smartphones » by Antoine GRENIER, Valérie RENAUDIN
- Presentation at « 2019 Annual Raw Measurement Task Force Workshop », GSA, Enabling high precision positioning on Android devices, Antoine GRENIER, Céline RAGOIN, Valérie RENAUDIN
- Presentation at « 2018 Annual Raw Measurement Task Force Workshop », GSA, Assessing Positions and Raw Data measurements delivered by an Android device, Miguel ORTIZ
Other useful ressources
- IPIN18 Tutorial, Using GNSS Raw Measurements on Android Devices, Moisés Navarro-Gallardo, Dr. Gaetano Galluzzo et Martin Šunkevič
- White Paper, GSA – 2017